Monday, September 25, 2017

Week 3 Mini Art School - Repetition Exercise - Design Basics Index

The visual image I selected is intended to promote meaningful online engagement. The trigger questions provided in the White Space Is Not Your Enemy regarding identification of the Objective, Audience, and Distribution helped organize how I would outline the message (Golombisky, K., & Hagen, R. (2010). Also, the Cubing brainstorming exercise, specifically items 5 and 6 helped me identify some of the pitfalls that I was including in my design. Some of those pitfalls were outlined in Principles of Design (Northernhighlands.org, 2017). I was leveraging busy backgrounds, initiating text on the right and using Stair-Stepping type and images in previous drafts.

This image resonated with me immediately as we are trying to create meaningful engagements using technology. I derived some meaning or sentiment from the artist. However, trying to convey this message to others required some trial and error.

The process of creating quadrants helped as well (Golombisky, K., & Hagen, R. 2010, pg. 23-25). As I placed images in their respective places, I found that I had to abandon one of my earlier concepts because although the images worked well in my sketch, the pixel quality deteriorated once I placed the item in the frame.

Since the image is a bit abstract, word choice would need to be precise and unambiguous. I also decided to use orange for text because orange is a color that is supposed to evoke energy. This contrasts with the white image. Also, the picture is small. I realized using letter size paper to sketch a small size ad, was counterproductive so I adjusted the margins. As noted in White Space, the proper dimension or technical specs would be have an impact on the succinctness of the visual message being communicated. I experimented with white space.  Please let me know how I can improve.












Principles of Design. Retrieved from www.Northerhighlands.org/cms/libs on September 23, 2017

Golombisky, K., & Hagen, R. (2010). White Space is not Your Enemy: A Beginner’s Guide to
               Communicating Visually through Graphic, Web & Multimedia Design . Focal Press: New York, NY.


No comments:

Post a Comment